Potato soup tastes heavenly and warms us in autumn and winter. You can easily give the soup your own touch, depending on what you serve it with. First we explain the basic recipe to you – we also provide inspiration for deposits and topping.
Potatoes taste great as a gratin , as a puree or in French fries . Cream of potato soup is another delicious variant that is not only quick to spread, but is also healthy.
Basic recipe for creamy potato soup
- 650 g floury potatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- 250 ml of cream
- First peel the onion and chop it into fine cubes. Then the potatoes are peeled and cut into large cubes.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion cubes until they are translucent. Then the potatoes are briefly steamed.
- Pour the vegetable stock over the potatoes and cover and let the soup simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Puree the vegetables with the hand blender and then stir in the cream. Season the soup with salt and pepper.
Our tip: You can easily turn this soup into a vegan dish by replacing the cream with 250 ml of soy cream.
With porcini mushrooms
With a boletus insert, the hearty potato soup becomes a culinary highlight.
- 150 g porcini mushrooms
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 bunch of chives
- Clean the mushrooms, cut them into thin slices and fry them in a little oil in a pan until they are golden brown. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper.
- Then cut the sun-dried tomatoes into small pieces. Rinse the chives and chop them into small rolls.
- Place the mushrooms on soup plates and scoop the potato soup over them. The tomatoes and chives are sprinkled on the soup as a topping.
The bacon makes the potato soup hearty and tasty.
- 100 g smoked bacon
- 1/2 bunch of parsley
- Cut the bacon into cubes and fry it in a little oil until it is crispy.
- Rinse the parsley and finely chop it. Garnish the potato soup with plenty of bacon and a little parsley.
We love the northern German version of the potato soup with crab and dill!
- 250 g North Sea shrimps
- 1/2 bunch of dill
Rinse the dill and cut finely. Mix the crabs with the dill in a clean bowl and add plenty of dill crabs to the potato soup.
In the extraordinary combination with basil, the potato soup with salmon tastes great.
- 500 g salmon
- 1 bunch of basil
- Rinse the salmon fillet, pat it dry with kitchen paper and cut it into bite-sized pieces.
- Then add the salmon to the finished, hot potato soup and let it simmer for about four minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse the basil and finely chop it. Then the basil is stirred into the soup.
Potato soup only with potatoes
You’re not that big a fan of cream soups, but potato soup? Then we have a milk variant for you, because a soup needs liquid. You can of course swap the milk for broth, then it is a stomach-friendly recipe. Vegans or people with a lactose intolerance simply exchange the milk for appropriate substitute products, as does the butter. To make the soup as creamy as possible, we definitely recommend floury potatoes.
- 1 kg potatoes (floury)
- 500 ml of milk
- 1 small onion
- 50 g butter
- 3 tbsp marjoram
- Salt pepper
Peel the potatoes and cook them in salted water until soft (approx. 20 minutes). Drain the cooking water and finely mash the potatoes.
In the meantime, finely dice the onion and sweat it in a little butter.
Heat the milk in a saucepan and add the remaining butter.
Add milk and onions to the mashed potatoes – just add enough milk to achieve the desired consistency.
Season to taste with marjoram, salt and pepper.